The universe is made of stories, not of atoms.

The universe is made of stories, not atoms.
Muriel Ruckeyser

Sunday, November 18, 2007

Playing a violin

(After watching Ladies in Lavender)

There were two men who both played the violin. They both played the same tune, using the same instrument but each one's attempt sounded different.

To the first man playing the instrument it was a duty, a means of income, a mode of survival. He played every note using his head, his thoughts to guide him through each verse. In the end every piece became a monotonous repeat of sound. He made a living, but not a life.
He performed every piece but couldn't feel the vibration of content that should have moved every nerve and sinew with every stroke.

Then the second man came. He gently stroked over the artistic wooden piece, placed it against his shoulder, took a deep breath and closed his eyes. And then he played - every note a product of his passion to let the world share in his joy. To him playing the violin was not a mere duty, but a need, a craving, an expression of his uniqueness in humanity. In music he found his breath, his strength, his guidance and true fulfillment of his life purpose.

We all have been like the first man: doing the sensible things in life. Making safe choices that would ensure security, the best chance on survival. We all ignore our passions, not trusting our dreams - scared of the future. We play the same tune on our violins day after day, working through the tunes in our minds. But this robs us from joy. Never will we find the content and self realization that we have been longing for.

We will persist on this journey of duty until we realize - God has given us talents and dreams. He is the dream giver, He knows me better than I know myself. He speaks through my deepest desires. How can I distrust Him and not follow those dreams. How will I ever be able to unlock my true potential if I'm not willing to follow the course my dreams take me on.

I know now more than ever before that I want to use the limited time I'm granted here on earth to live out my passion. I want to free the potential God has given me, I want to put my energy into those things which I enjoy.

I want to play the violin which God has carved for me, not the one put into my hands by other people's expectations.

I pray that God will always give me the insight and wisdom to choose my passions, live my dreams and give myself joyfully for that in which I believe.

1 comment:

Gys du Plessis said...

Hi Riana,
Dis 'n verskriklike mooi metafoor om alignment met ons Goddelike kontrak te beskryf!
Hoop die Here het jou in gedagte om jou musiek te kom speel in Mosaiek Community;-)
Mooi dag
Gys