The universe is made of stories, not of atoms.

The universe is made of stories, not atoms.
Muriel Ruckeyser

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Dimensions

Everyday I learn something new about myself. As time passes by I discover more and more dimensions of my personality which I didn't even know existed.
It is as if the light of every different circumstance we are placed in reveals a kaleidoscope of personality colours previously unseen by the inner eye.

Like an onion with different layers we also have layers in our personality. The first layer is what I know about myself. Then there is the layer consisting of other's perspectives and opinions of me (which I may only partially comprehend), then what I know about myself but hide from others and finally what only God knows about me (those things hidden in my subconscious that I don't even have access to).

I realise now that I may never be able to know myself to the fullest - there might always be parts of myself hidden, waiting for exploration.

I have to therefore create opportunities, make time to spend in God's presence to listen to His revelations about me. I have to hear from him who I am in Him, confirm that my desires are in line with His will for my life. Only through time spent with him will I be able to get the the most inner layer of my being.

I also realised that if I am not able to even comprehend the depths of my own existence, how will I ever be able to understand someone else completely? Therefore every moment with someone else is special, because every moment is an opportunity to explore the hidden treasures in someone else. We should not waste time on negative attitudes, hurt and bitterness. Every moment lost is a moment we don't have to spend on discovering the hope, love and joy within someone else.

God also uses circumstances in our lives as filters to purify some of our personality traits. Through this we are transformed. People who were aggressive become calm, the impatient become patient - all because they have opened the doors of their minds to the inspiration and presence of the Holy Spirit. He has the power to peel through all those layers of dimensions in my personality and bring me to a point of perspective. A point of self-conscious awareness. A point where I will be able to make decisions not based on what I believe others think of me, but rather on how I know God perceives me.

No comments: