The universe is made of stories, not of atoms.

The universe is made of stories, not atoms.
Muriel Ruckeyser

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Living for tomorrow

How will I know that I will be able to withstand the challenges tomorrow might bring? How will I know if I will be able to withstand the test of trial and tribulation that time may throw at my doorstep?


The answer lies in the way we live today. Everyday is a building block paving our attitude and stamina for the day to come. Philip Brooks said: "Some day, in years to come, you will be wrestling with the great temptation, or trembling under the great sorrow of your life. But the real struggle is here, now... Now it is being decided whether in the day of your supreme sorrow or temptation you shall miserably fail or gloriously conquer. Character cannot be made except by a steady, long continued process."


There is no quick fix. Every choice I make today becomes a funnel along which I will direct choices of similar nature in future. The time I spend on reflection and prayer streamlines my thoughts, moulds it into a useful piece of equipment which I will be able to use to sift through sorrow and pain to find the gems in everything that crosses my path.


Character cannot be build in one day. It is a multi layered process. Each event in your life lays down a sediment of experience. The process is continuous. When the investments are made frequently and abundantly the credit will be available for utilisation in times of need.


Always live responsibly today with the end in mind.

No comments: