The universe is made of stories, not of atoms.

The universe is made of stories, not atoms.
Muriel Ruckeyser

Sunday, October 14, 2012

My Red Toe Nails

Spring brings with it the spirit of renewal. There is energy in the air which drives us towards new things. We have the urge to re-look the old and start on a fresh note. We throw out our old clothes, get a new hairstyle, get outside work in the garden, get in shape (with varying levels of success).

I call it spring fever.

As part of spring fever I felt my toe nails needed a little lightening up. As part of the new season I had to paint them with something else than the black and brown I have been using during the long winter months. I dug into the cupboard. To my dismay the only bright colour I could find was red. I have never been too fond of red lipstick or red nail polish, but to relieve the symptoms of my spring fever I had no other option.

I must say it help to put a piece of spring in my step, but believe me, beyond my wildest expectations it did so much more than that.

Andreas is in the process of crawling. Believe me, quite a process it is. He tries very hard, he has the will, but for every 10 minutes of trying the might advance about 2 or 3 metres in the direction he wants to go in.

We mostly feel helpless. We encourage, as you might realise from previous writings on the subject and to some extent it does help, but there are certain connections which still have to be made in the little brain of his. The wires are not all connected yet.

One afternoon I was cheering along, as usual, standing a few feet ahead of where he was intending to go. He suddenly fixated on my sandals, with the red toe nails peeping through. In that moment he got a determination in his eyes: he wanted to get to my toe nails. With that as his goal he suddenly moved, like never before.

He did not stop until he touched the result of my spring fever exercise. It was wonderful to see the utter satisfaction on his face when he finally reached his goal.

In that moment I realised the power of red!

I just wish motivation of one’s children could stay this easy. Imagine if red toe nails were what it would take to get a stubborn teenager study for his exams.

I guess I should enjoy it while it lasts…

No comments: