The universe is made of stories, not of atoms.

The universe is made of stories, not atoms.
Muriel Ruckeyser

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Rainbow

Rainbows are free and unexpected. You cannot plan them, buy them or create them yourself.
A rainbow just need to be enjoyed now. You cannot put it away, for later enjoyment, because the value of a rainbow lies in the moment.

The other day I was driving home from work. I was tired, frustrated and I could not help to think of all the things I still need to do before the end of the day. Just to make the moment more perfect, I was stuck in traffic (one of the joys of living in Joburg) due to an unexpected burst of rain, that slows down everybody on the road.
In a nutshell: I was not feeling very thankful at that moment.

More out of frustration than anything else I looked up - maybe hoping to find some relief from the cloudy sky above. There it was - a rainbow, but not just any rainbow - a full one. It stretched from one side of the sky all the way to the other side. I have often seen rainbows, most of the time only in bits and pieces.
This was an awesome site.

Suddenly I felt so ashamed. Here I was sitting - feeling very sorry for myself, thinking of all the things I still needed to fit into my already jam-packed day. And here is God splattering this beautiful rainbow all over the sky for me to enjoy, He did not have to do that, but He still does. God does not complain that He has to look after us, look after the earth, in fact the whole universe. He does it day by day in love and with perfection.

I realised it is all about attitude and gratitude. Those two will get us far in life. Through implementing them as virtues in our lives, we will probably see more rainbows around us.

No comments: