The universe is made of stories, not of atoms.

The universe is made of stories, not atoms.
Muriel Ruckeyser

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Pregnancy series: Calling in the help of Gruffalo

How do you tell your husband that you are expecting his baby? I have always wondered how it would happen and how I would tell him. As I was standing with my second positive pregnancy test in my hands, I realised a few things: first of all this is definitely not news I can give him telephonically, secondly I have to give it to him tonight and thirdly I need to call in someone’s help…


During a trip to London a few weeks before I came across a Gruffalo soft toy, which stole my heart. There and then I decided that this will be the messenger of good news, should I ever find out I am pregnant. Little did I know how soon that day would come. As Mario was still called out I had some time. I wrapped Gruffalo, with the positive pregnancy test firmly between his legs. Surely that would make the message loud and clear.


Obviously by now I was so excited that even if I wanted to sleep I would not be able to. I waited – hoping that every movement outside would be my husband coming home. I waited a while. Around 1am that morning he came back – very surprised to find me wide awake in bed.


The little gift baffled him initially. He was not sure why I would want to give him a gift from the UK 3 weeks after I returned and that in the middle of the night. Initially he did not see the little piece of undeniable evidence, but Gruffalo quickly pointed to the reason for his surprise arrival.


After that we could not sleep anyway. We chatted for hours about this gigantic change in our lives, our hopes, our fears and overall this undeserved miracle that was unfolding in our lives.


Needless to say – this little pea of life got the name Gruffalo, that is until we will come up with the real name. So welcome little Gruffalo.


Next: A Second confirmation

No comments: