The universe is made of stories, not of atoms.

The universe is made of stories, not atoms.
Muriel Ruckeyser

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Pregnancy series: It must be heartburn

Once you have left the world of contraception behind, you always have in the back of your mind the possibility that you might be pregnant. Therefore, each month at the end of a cycle you wait for the confirmation that for some comes as a relief and a disappointment for others. I did not have the privilege of knowing. My cyclical behaviour after discontinuation of all preventative methods was not regular to say the least. Thus, I was almost living in the dark.
Despite this, we had the confirmation from the gynaecologist that anatomically everything looked good, so we took the road of patient waiting, not expecting any action too soon.


But most ladies who have been pregnant will know – it comes at a time when you least expect it!


Yes, it was the same with me. There were a few times when I was convinced I was pregnant, actually many times. For that reason I went and bought a box of pregnancy tests, but every time the test result was negative.


Everything started during a business trip to Mauritius. It was a good week. I can’t deny it – I enjoyed a glass of wine, even a cocktail every now and then (after working hours in case you wondered). Half way through the week I noticed a few things: first of all I could not get out of bed in the morning to do my usual hotel gym session. I tried to explain the phenomenon – must be the humidity and the busy days (must say the Mauritians have a heart of gold, and my work colleagues made sure I saw every inch of the island after work). And then I had the most horrible heartburn and indigestion. I initially thought it was the spicy food, so I cut down on that, but it did not matter what I ate, it just got worse.


I must say, by the end of the week I was actually relieved to go back to my normal routine and food choices. Little did I know that nothing would ever be the same again…


The Friday night after I landed and my husband dropped me off at home (he left again, because he was on duty), I immediately dived into the medicine cupboard and took an antacid tablet. Only after I took the antacid, the thought came to me to maybe do the pregnancy test again.


I did and waited. First one line appeared and then… another. I double checked, yes this means I am pregnant. First reaction, denial… I re-did the test, the same result.


What are the first emotions and thoughts that go through your mind? For a moment everything inside me froze. It was almost as if my whole inner being was re-set – my mind, my body everything in me responded to this positive test. Yes, I was very happy and excited, but it is almost as if you don’t want to get excited before someone else knows about your joy. So, next mission – Mario must get the news.


Next: Calling in the help of Gruffalo

No comments: