The universe is made of stories, not of atoms.

The universe is made of stories, not atoms.
Muriel Ruckeyser

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Pregnancy series: Being sick without being ill...

I guess some woman are lucky, they do not even realise they are pregnant during the first trimester.

My experience was a little different. I had a few constant reminders that my body was changing and preparing itself for a new adventure at a rapid pace.


I personally think that the term morning sickness is a misnomer. I had all day sickness. I woke up nauseous – the only thing that changed was that it got worse during the day and that I just experienced tiredness beyond comprehension as the day went along.


I tried Vomifene, ginger tea – nothing helped, except eating all the time. So I woke up with a banana beside my bed and literally ate my way through the day.


Just to complement the fact that I was not feeling great I also looked like a pimple-faced teenager, while having heartburn of an overweight 50 year old.


I must say, those first few weeks did not make me excited about being pregnant at all, but it was a good reality check. Despite the fact that I was feeling close to death, I never thought once that I did not want this.


It is also amazing to see how many people understand what you are going through, simply because they have all gone through it themselves.


And then amazingly one day you wake up and you start feeling yourself again. You can eat meat again, stomach the smell of coffee and stop eating Marie Biscuits for survival.


I think my biggest fear during those first few weeks was that I would be one of the unlucky people who would be nauseous throughout their whole pregnancy. For the ladies who have experienced that – my deepest sympathy. After all you can only eat Marie Biscuits for so long.

No comments: