The universe is made of stories, not of atoms.

The universe is made of stories, not atoms.
Muriel Ruckeyser

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Pregnancy series: In the oven!


I have always been a sensitive soul when it comes to temperature differences. My body tends to interpret the slightest chill of air as a cold wind. The end result is that I am grabbing a jersey while others are still wiping the sweat off their brow.


These are one of the things that change when you are pregnant. Now you have a constant fire inside, no need for any jersey for some extra heat.


The only problem is that you cannot take this little piece of heat production off, like a jersey, when it is getting hot outside. Any woman who has been pregnant in summer will now: you savour a cloudy day.


During December I was quite lucky – there were many cloudy days, but my luck could only last that long. January came with its own promise of sunny non-cloudy days. Ouch!


I would lie in a sweat bath at night, getting up to sprinkle myself from head to toe with water for some temporary relief.


It is amazing how much heat another growing human being can create. Unfortunately my husband had to suffer. There is no way I can allow another human being close to my side dumping more of their heat onto me, so as he was moving closer I was constantly moving away (that is until I reach the edge of the bed).


That is the background – you get home each day, boiling. With this in mind you can understand my relief when the heat was suddenly broken by an unexpected rainstorm. The earth cooled down. I embraced the fresh cool air and the promise of a sound night’s sleep.


Those 10 minutes of refreshment was indeed enough.


As I was standing by the window, breathing in the cool air I realised that, we are supposed to be an unexpected but welcomed rain storm on a blazing hot afternoon.


We need to be refreshing, cooling off warm emotions in this boiling world of uncertainty and insecurity.


Jesus himself said in John 7:38:


“Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, streams of living water will flow from within him."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My Sweetest Little Friend Riana,
In no particular order; sweet, young, thoughtful, appreciative, pretty, clever, artistic, bright, understanding, loving, kind, beautiful...........and the list just goes on and on!
Your insight and the way you describe soooooo much which most of us take for granted everyday is truly awe-inspiring! I LOVE reading your stories, comments, explanations and feelings! Your energy and enthusiasium is amazing!
Thank you, 'by the grace of God', for including me in your circle and until the next time, keep that dummy firmly in your precious little chaps mouth while you remind us all of what it's all about.......with much love, Ingi xxx